Jesus came so that we might have life and live it abundantly

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Whatever God Says Do...Do it!


Do you remember back when you were a kid, putting your hands up like this and saying in a snarky tone, "Whatever!" It was not said in an open and expecting tone was it? It was said to close the conversation shut and walk away.

As a YES GIRL, the statement of the day is, "Whatever God Says Do...Do it!" This is a much different whatever! I can't imagine being snarky to God, turning around and walking away. But, have I done this? I'm sure that God could point out several occasions to me where He was asking something from me and I just blew Him off. That's sobering to think about.

God wants us us to be open and expectant. He wants to use us, work in us, work through us, bless us and change us. He can only do this if we go to Him with our palms up with expectation, willing to take whatever it is that He will place there.



Today, I've desired so much to have a quiet day where I could be reflective and spend time listening to God so that I could hear what it is that he is asking me to do. However, my day just hasn't been turning out that way. It's been very busy with lots of demands. Every time a new demand has been placed before me, I've sighed, wishing for something different and reluctantly going forward to take care of it. In fact, it seems like every time I come back to working on this post, I'm called away from it again. I kind of want to pout and have a pity party. I guess that God is showing me what this YES GIRL business is really all about. He's showing me what it really means to have my palms up and to be willing to do whatever God tells me to do.

When I have my palms up with expectation, I need to be willing to do whatever is placed there. Just because I am showing a willingness doesn't mean that life will be easy and filled with blessings (although that might be some of what God places there). The things that God asks me to do may be fun, exciting and joyful, but they might also be difficult, frightening, exhausting, frustrating or something that feels awful!

So, my day hasn't been full of rainbows and lollipops, but I don't have to live it in my own strength. I don't have to be reluctant and full of self-pity. I can lean on God and depend on Him. My goal for this study is to become more dependent on Him and to find my satisfaction in Him. He is giving me the perfect opportunity to practice this today. I almost didn't recognize it! Thank you God for giving me what I wanted, even though it came in a package that I didn't recognize, understand or want!

What are your expectations about having your palms up, ready with openness and willing to accept whatever God puts there and asks of you? Do you need to lay your expectations aside in order to see and hear what God is asking of you? Let's just remember, that when God asks something of us, He is also there, right alongside of us, giving us the strength to accomplish the task.






No comments:

Post a Comment